Thursday, April 4, 2019

Week 11 Story: The Loyal Carpenters



Along the bank of the Krishna River in Central India lived a village of carpenters.  These carpenters had inhabited the area for hundreds of years and made a profit by selling their wooden goods to all of the nearby towns and villages.

Each and every day, these carpenters went into the jungle to cut down trees.  One day when they were out, they heard a huge rustle in the brush nearby.  The sound grew louder and louder until eventually a massive elephant appeared.  Something was off about this creature though.  He was limping on three legs.

The elephant approached the carpenters and uttered, "Do you think you could help me?  I have a large splinter in my food and cannot get it out.  Will you take it out for me?"

The carpenters replied saying, "Of course, anything to help those who also call this jungle home."

The carpenters removed the splinter, and the elephant was very grateful.  The elephant was so grateful in fact that he decided he would help the carpenters with their work.

Every day the elephant helped the carpenters take down trees and transport them to wherever they needed to go.  He became great friends with the carpenters too and their work environment improved because of him.  The carpenters always provided the elephant with food as well.

The elephant worked for the carpenters for 30 years and realized that he would not be able to work for much longer.  He had a son who was starting to grow into the most beautiful elephant in all of India.  He had shiny white skin, large muscles, and long ivory tusks.

The elephant decided to take his son to work so that his son could continue to work when he no longer could.  The young elephant picked up on the job quickly.

Years down the road the elephant's son and all of the carpenters' sons were working at an even higher rate than their fathers.  They loved this life and this friendship they had built.

A king came through the jungle one day and saw the beautiful elephant working for the carpenters.  He immediately wanted the elephant and offered a large price for him.

The carpenters gathered together and decided they could not send away their best friend.  They kindly declined the kings offer and the king, who was a reasonable man, understood.

Authors Note

In this story I basically retold The King's White Elephant but added a twist at the very end.  In the original story, the carpenters sold the white elephant to the king.  The king treated the elephant well, but I wondered if the elephant missed the carpenters that had been so good to him and his father.  It seemed a little strange to me that the carpenters would sell a friend.  I changed the ending to the story to highlight the value of friendship and loyalty.

Bibliography

The King's White Elephant by Ellen C. Babbitt
Image Information: The Working Elephant: Wikimedia Commons



5 comments:

  1. Howdy Braden,

    I thought your story was a very humbling lesson. It gave a great lesson over true friendship. Although, I do understand that you got to do what you got to do for the original story. I have not read the original story, but I assume maybe the carpenters may have needed some extra money. Overall, your story was fun and humbling to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Braden! I really enjoyed reading your story about the elephants. I think the detail you included throughout the piece was excellent. The imagery of the young elephant with the beautiful ivory tusks was especially creative. I could easily visualize the story as I followed along with the reading. I thought you made a good point in your authors note as to how it seemed odd that the carpenters would sell their friend, I’m glad you changed that part in your version of the tale.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Braden!
    This is a really sweet story. It's so cool how the friendship between the elephants and the carpenters lasts generations. Some day I hope to have a friendship that strong and resilient. I also appreciate that the friendship started with an act of kindness. With the huge elephant coming barreling out of the woods, it would have been very easy for the carpenters to be scared, but they approach the elephant with open hearts and open minds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Braden!
    Wow! What an amazing story. I am so glad I got to read it. It was very enjoyable. You used your words to create vivid description and imagery. I appreciate your deviation from the original story. The theme of your story was great. Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Braden, I really liked how you changed this story up. I really liked the original version but I think I like this one even more. I also felt like it was a little strange in the original version when they sold him. Elephants are my favorite animal so I think you did a great job of highlighting just how great they are in your story! Great job I hope I get to read more of your stories in the future!

    ReplyDelete